The Health & Safety appointment is a legal requirement under Section 17 of the Occupational Health & Safety Act (Act 85 of 1993) and thus compulsory for every organization.
This SAQA aligned course (Unit Standards: 116518, 13167, 9964, 14897, 9443 and 116527) is to intended for individuals employed by any industry, where the employee may be required to make a work area safe before commencing work or needs to understand what the law requires of them in the workplace with regards to safety and how to work safely by following company precautions, safety standards and safety procedures.
When the learner has completed this course he will:
- Have a greater awareness and understanding of the threat posed by risks & hazards, their personal responsibility in preventing an incident/accident where they work and, on the procedures to be taken should one occur.
- Be able to conduct a preliminary incident investigation into workplace health, safety and environmental incidents.
The course is held over 2 days.
Course Content / Modules Covered
A wide range of subjects is covered including:
- Introduction to Health & Safety
- Legislative history
- The Constitution
- Understanding the act and regulations
- Department of Labour/legislation
- Important sections of the Act
- The SHE Rep introduction and functions
- SHE Rep appointments and documentation
- Monthly inspections and documentation
- Incident and accident investigations
- Department of Labour documentation
- Health & Safety committee meetings
Subject to completion of an assignment & assessment, all participants will be issued with a SHE Representative certificate approved by the Department of Labour.